Fathead & Madseason

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Civil Rights: A Rant.

Madseason has her rants. I have mine. I tend to piss people off with my opinionated self. If you are easily pissed off, don't read it. Be accountable for your choice.

A while back I was reading a bit in a book entitled "The Politically Incorrect Guide to History." Let's face it, I don't trust mainstream media or what they teach in schools. When the founding fathers get little more than a page in history that bothers me. Let's just say some things stick with me and this is one of those things I have been mulling over for a while.

The chapter that I was reading about was about Civil Rights. To be totally honest I have had an issue with the fact that if I were to go out and say "I'm proud to be white" I would be called a racist when in fact I am no more a racist than green is red. The Civil Rights Amendment of 1964, in and of itself, was momentous. I think that the fact that this legislation reached into the personal lives of Americans by prohibiting acts of segregation in public facilities and private establishments catering to the public. I am not saying that segregation is good but what I am saying is that the attempt for government to dictate personal action is wrong. It opened the door for federal authority over private behavior that continues to grow.

One other comment... notice that the Civil Rights Amendment never lists specific race, color or sex. Think about it. To hire someone just because they are purple is racial discrimination just as much as having an employment policy of white only. In fact, the percentage of blacks employed in upper end management did not improve in 1967 from where it had been in 1964 or 1964.

It was not until the creation of affirmative action that we see that a quota system implemented. What benefit did affirmative action have? According to this book by Thomas E. Woods, Jr., "The affirmative action programs started in 1971 (under President Richard Nixon, contrary to popular belief) were accompanied by an improvement in the condition of blacks at the higher end of the earning spectrum, while those least advantaged lagged further behind. Similar stories could be told about Asian and Hispanic employment." Bottom line, there was no benefit experienced by the Civil Rights amendment or affirmative action that were not already in effect.

One other little tidbit of information: democrats as a whole were against passage of the Civil Rights Amendment and interestingly enough over the last 20 years black migration has been away from the North and toward the South. Why? According to the majority of the blacks polled: because they feel they were treated equally. Funny how these things are not mentioned in textbooks or by mainstream media.

You want true equality, eliminate the questions concerning race and sex from all applications for employment and education and allow the individual be judged based on their accomplishments, talents, and abilities. What the color of my skin or whether I have a dick or not should not weigh into the equation of whether or not I can do a job. To judge me on either of those two precedents is an insult.

3 comments:

Mike Davis said...

Unfortunately, people all around the world make judgements on everything but actual suitability for the role.

I don't think that will ever change.

How we chose to address that problem can always be questioned and debated but one way or another, I think the problem needs addressing.

Anyway - I'm here visiting from Michele's and This is a good, thoughtful post.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. How I do my job has nothing to do with my sex or my race. Unfortunately, lots of people think that problems can be solved through legislation (which you and I know is false).

btw, here through michele!

Bobkat said...

You sound like me! We have what is actuaslly termed 'Positive discrimination' here in the UK. How can any type of discrimination be positive??? I'd better not get started as I find it had to stop once I enter rant mode. Suffice to say I agree. Not least because I do not agree with any Governement tampering with what should be private decisions adn responsibilities.

thanks to madseason for the visit to my blog via Michele's. Bob the cat says thanks very much for the compliment :) Always nice to say hi to new visitors :)