Fathead & Madseason

Thursday, September 6, 2007

All Talk, No Substance

Do you ever hear from Jodie Foster on politics or Brooke Shields? I remember growing up and hearing about them putting their careers on hold to attend college and yet I don't hear their names come up too often in the political rhetoric that escapes Hollywood like a stinky fart.

Who knew that the likes of Tiger Woods studied economics at Stanford, Paul Newman has a degree in English, that Gene Simmons majored in education (imagine that class!!) or that Mira Sorvino is fluent in Mandarin Chinese and has a degree in Asian Studies from Harvard? These folks I would probably respect if they spoke out concerning politics. I may not agree with them but I would at least respect them more than the the Sean Penn's of the world who studied auto mechanics and speech, or the Alec Baldwin's who dropped out of college or let's even talk about Rosie O'Donnell who completed high school but dropped out of college.

Okay, I know... you don't have to have book learnin' to be intelligent. I totally understand that. Hell, my great grandmother had a 3rd grade education but could spell better and was better at math than most college graduates that I know today. It just makes me wonder why it is that those that have a higher education are not as out spoken concerning their political views and definitely do not make those empty threats of living in another country if the election doesn't go their way? Could it be that their politics do not agree with mainstream Hollywood and to avoid being black balled and in order to keep their jobs they keep quiet?
I dunno.

One thing is for sure, actors are paid to act. Folks need to take a hard look at who is speaking before they take the information or opinion as gospel.

13 comments:

Paula said...

Good point. I never care what celebs have to say about politics unless they're doing a good comedy routine. And how would you know if an actor is lying? LOL

Stella Dean said...

I think you could be on to something with them not wanting to be blackballed. I also think, and I could be totally wrong on this, but I wonder if they don't put it out there because they are educated. Seems to me that some educated people don't have the, oh, "need" if you will, to be playing the "who can sqawk the loudest" game. If that makes any sense.

PS - Michele sent me. Congrats on SOTD.

Anonymous said...

I don't care what celebs have to say any more than I care who they're dating or what dress they wore to the Oscars/Emmies/Grammies.

I DO care if their performances are worth my $8.00

Michele sent me...interesting site you have.

-E said...

Michele sent me, I hope you have a great week.

I think when people aren't as confident or educated on an issue, they are louder and more outspoken to make up for the lack of knowledge behind what they're saying. The people who know more about what they are discussing don't need to yell and make a big production to make their point.

Bernie said...

Did you get the show that Gene Simmons had where he taught a bunch of English scool kids hard rock?? I thought it was quite good!!!

An old saying, that a few actors/politicians should take heed, "it is better to keep ones mouth shut and appear ignorant, than to open it, and remove all doubt"!

Here from Michele's, congratulations on the SOTD!

Bobkat said...

As Bernie pointed out, there was a show where Gene Simmons taught kids from a choir school how to rock. One of them went on to have a rock career as 'Lil Chris'.

You are quite right, actors are actors and not politicians. Anything they say is always opinion and never gospel in my book. You can never be sure that they have all the facts.

I came here via Michele's. Congrats on being the SOTD.

Star said...

Everyone is entitled to speak their mind in this great country of ours. Some people just have a bigger soapbox. The problem lies not necessarily with the speaker, but with the listener who is so easily swayed by someone else's opinion because they are a "star".

Michele sent me.

Anonymous said...

Though I live in India, I too have observed that the more educated of our celebrities rarely come out with political viewpoints or leanings. God knows, they are articulate enough for anythng.

Congrats for being the SOTD at Michele's.

Shannon akaMonty said...

I think perhaps those other celebrities are smart enough to keep their mouths shut--or at least pick a proper forum. :)

Hello, Michele sent me! I hope you don't mind if I go poke around.

kenju said...

I would never pay attention to what an actor says about politics. Who cares what they think? Re Gene Simmons: I never thought much about him at all until my children were watching his show this summer and I discovered that he is intelligent and a consummate businessman who always sees how to seize the opportunities that come his way. Michele sent me.

Madseason said...

Kenju,
Did you know that Gene Simmons has a degree in education? Imagine a class tough by "the Demon?!" Thanks for visiting!

Bev Sykes said...

Sounds like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. People are always complaining about celebrities for speaking out and you're complaining about celebrities for NOT speaking out. What's a celeb to do?

Mike Davis said...

I don't add any credence to their views simply because of their celebrity status but I do find it easier to tolerate when their views echo my own.

Having said that, your closing statement - "Folks need to take a hard look at who is speaking before they take the information or opinion as gospel." should be applied to politicians as well as actors! In fact, it is a pretty good credo for all aspects of life.